Monday, September 20, 2010

The Art of Genuine Presentation


I had the opportunity for a first-time meeting with the Director of Events for an upscale facility who was beautifully made up, coiffed, and dressed. When I asked if there was an event that day to merit her striking appearance, she said, "No," and explained that she had worked for Mary Kay Ash, of Mary Kay Cosmetics, in a past life and was therefore, conditioned.

Whatever I came in to see her about took a back seat to finding out more about the Pink Cadillac Lifestyle (she'd had more than a few). Seems that Ms. Mary Kay insisted that her sales force have their acts together when they set foot out the door whether to pick up a half gallon at the mini-mart or give a presentation.

Having worked in design, marketing, and now staging, which is design, marketing, and presentation, discussion ensued on the, relaxed, shall we say, way people present themselves these days. She mused about the look of a man in a suit (I will add well-tailored) and how nice that is to witness—rare in the area where I live where khakis and a golf shirt are 'perty special.'

I commented that I now think twice about 'flip flopping around,' because although I live in a resort area, you never know who you're going to run in to. Case in point, unexpectedly being introduced to my friend's esteemed big-city colleague at a local produce market. She, perfectly put together, mind you, and me, in local-lay-back mode, hoping I didn't have a toothpaste drip lurking on my tee shirt.

We're all familiar with, "Don't judge a book by it's cover," but it seems to be true that people who are well-dressed and groomed are treated with more deference than those who are not (unless they're just really obnoxious). I suppose there are a few ways to look at this.

I went through the phase of getting used to not wearing make-up in a quest for natural authenticity by dropping the Flame Red (excuse me, Flamme) lipstick I had worn for years. The process embodied a curious mix of vulnerability and defiance. Then, at a particularly dark point in my life when family members were dropping like flies, it took every bit of strength to get myself out the door—let alone look presentable doing it.

Having traversed these passages, I'm now at a balance point. While I am comfortable with myself with or without makeup, in public or private, I'm in a phase of life where I prefer and enjoy the effect of packaging myself nicely (most of the time). Is it the reward of the journey to date? I think so.

The Events Director had an interesting business perspective. She said something to the effect of, "If someone cares enough to take care of themselves, I feel they are going to take good care of me."

It may not have been said in so many words, but I think when we care for ourselves from a place of healthy and genuine self-love, it naturally cascades into love and respect for others.

Thanks, Joyce. It was a fun and thought-provoking afternoon.

©2010 catherine lenard

No comments:

Post a Comment